Adding herbs to your cocktails is a great way to breath new life into more classic drinks like this Bloody Mary with a basil injection!
You will need to make your own basil vodka first. This is a time honored tradition in our house, we make flavored vodka and gin with various botanicals but basil is a real treat. As the basis of a Bloody Mary, vodka is key and fresh flavors lend a really nice twist.
Making Basil Vodka
- 2 cups Absolut Vodka
- 1 cup of basil (really full cup and not loosely packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon rock salt
Have a clean Kilner jar ready, then add your basil leaves roughly ripped up. Pour over the vodka and salt. Shake them together gently and leave in the cupboard or cool dark area for around a week. Shake it occasionally to keep the herbs moving around the vodka. If you are making basil vodka for a sweeter cocktail, replace the salt with 2 teaspoons of sugar.
Putting Together The Basil Bloody Mary
Feel free to mix up the botanicals you add here. A lime slice, or sprig of basil a celery stick or even a sprig of rosemary will work wonders.
Bloody Mary Ingredients
- 2 1/2 Cups tomato juice
- zest of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 3/4 cup of basil vodka
- 4 stalks of celery
Bloody Mary Directions
- Add the tomato juice, zest, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and basil vodka into a cocktail mixer with a handful of ice.
- Shake well and pour into four tall glasses
- Add the celery sticks to decorate.
Enjoy your drink at any time of year, but we think it is the perfect drink to enjoy in the garden while looking at your herb garden, including the basil you are drinking!
Further Reading & What Next
- For more basil inspired recipes have a look at our free guide here.
- For any other ideas for herbs to grow to make your own cocktail garden check out Cocktail Lovers Herb Garden Planting Guide
- Best Strawberry And Basil Vegan Milkshake For Summer