Tarragon & Sorrel Ranch Style Eggs
If you are looking for the perfect healthy brunch then look no further. Ranch style eggs are a classic and this twist of adding fresh herbs gives it even more flavor!
Serves 2. Preparation Time 5 Minutes. Cooking Time 10 Minutes
Ranch Style Eggs Ingredients
You can replace the chorizo with a vegetarian version if you would rather a meat free version.
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 150g chorizo chopped into cubes
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon
- 1 cup of sorrel
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 4 free range eggs
- grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- parsley for garnish
Method For Making Ranch Style Eggs
- Fry off your spring onions and chorizo in the olive oil, this should take around 2 minutes.
- Add your chili flakes, tarragon, chopped sorrel and tinned tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook through for 2 minutes.
- The sorrel will have wilted down and turned to a dim green, like an army camouflage color.
- With the back of a wooden spoon make dips in your tomato mix. Crack eggs into the dips.
- Cover with a lid, or tin foil if you don’t have a lid on your frying pan. About five minutes of simmering will cook your egg whites without making your yolks hard. If you don’t want runny yolks then leave the lid on for longer.
- Just before serving grate some parmesan as well as any fresh herbs you fancy. Parsley is ideal but also basil works very well.
The tarragon gives it an anise flavor and the sorrel is lemony and a gentle peppery taste. It is just a healthy twist that brings an extra depth of flavor to this classic dish. Sorrel is a classic dish to use with eggs or tomatoes. It’s nice to add here as the sorrel flavor does not infuse with the main ranch style eggs dish. Meaning you get little mouthfuls of lemony freshness.
TOP TIP- To convert your ranch style eggs to a main dish add a cup of cooked chicken and a tin of kidney beans.
Even better still if you have grown the herbs yourself as you can ensure you have fresh ingredients.
What Next & Further Reading
Let us know how you get with the ranch style eggs with added zing!
Leave a Reply