Really there is variation between essential oils vs fragrance oils which may not actually make that much difference on a day to day level. But for those who want more than just a nice smell it is important to know the differences.
Fragrance oils can be more affordable than essential oils and are synthetic or man made. Essential oils are natural and found in the leaves, flowers, roots and bark of plants. Essential oils give health benefits that are not available in fragrance oils.
There are so many variation for why you may choose to use each of these oils, and it is well worth investigating further.
Benefits & Disadvantages Of Fragrance Oils Vs Essential Oils
- Essential oils are made from botanicals. Plant leaves, flowers, roots and bark produce oils that retain aroma. Fragrance oils are made from synthetic and are man made. Sometimes a fragrance oil will also contain essential oils, mixed with a base or other man made products.
- Essential oils contain less carcinogens and toxins than fragrance oils, however you would really need to burn an awful lot of fragrance oil to get a harmful effect.
- Essential oils can be dangerous to dogs or pets and small children. Tea tree oil and peppermint oil are examples of essential oils that may be harmful to pets.
- Essential oils have specific health benefits, you may buy a ready made blend that is known for it’s calming effect. This would contain a blend of lavender, cardamom and other oils known for their calmative properties. Fragrance oils will not have that benefit.
- Fragrance oils do not degrade in aroma as quickly as essential oils. There are ways to prolong an essential oil and keeping it in a cool, dark place in an airtight container will help.
- Essential oils are harder to extract and therefore it is important to buy sustainable oils only. It can be very labor intensive to extract essential oil, whereas fragrance oils can be made more quickly.
- Fragrance oils can come in a wider range of aroma’s, whereas essential oils can come in blends and mixes but nothing as wild as
Snow Fairy or Angels, which is not very descriptive I know but you get the idea!
- Essential oils are more expensive than fragrance oils. However this is due to the high costs of extraction of oils, meaning certain oils are much more costly than others. I always think about the difference between orange oil and sandalwood oil.
How To Use Essential Oils Vs Fragrance Oils
- Both fragrance oils and essential oils can be added to carrier oils to make a massage oil. Only essential oils will give you added health benefits though.
- Fragrance oils are better than essential oils for use in candle making and soap making, in that they will carry their aroma longer and further.
- You can add essential oils to a fragrance-free lotion to create your own specific blend. Fragrance oils can also be used, however you will not get the same level of health benefits that essential oils offer.
- One or two drops of essential oil added to a diffuser can give you health benefits as well as aa pleasant aroma in your home.
- Adding fragrance oil to a diffuser can give a strong aroma to room and therefore be beneficial when you need a quick fix, however it won’t offer the same level of associated health benefits.
Where To Buy Essential Oils Vs Fragrance Oils
- All of the qualities I listed above for essential oils will only come from sustainably sourced and quality oils. I buy through Neal’s Yard Remedies, here is a link for the UK shop. As you can see I love to use their products so much that I sell their product too! Neal’s Yard Remedies do sell overseas
you can buy online or check prices on Amazon here.
- Lagunamoon fragrance oils are premium grade,
check price and availability here.
What Next & Further Reading
Hopefully you can make a more informed decision when deciding which to buy between fragrance oils and essential oils. I would urge you to always purchase sustainably sourced essential oils and make sure that the workers are paid a fair wage.
I prefer to use essential oils, this is due to the added benefits that essential oils offer. I also like a more gentle aroma, meaning that I will use them in candle making and diffusers alike.
- Carrier Oils & Essential Oils – Complete Guide for those who want to learn a little more about how to make your essential oils go further.
- Sage Vs Lavender – In The Garden & Kitchen these are two great essential oils with lots of health benefits and well worth learning a little more about.
- How To Choose The Right Essential Oil Diffuser, here is an article for those who are interested in the correct delivery method for your fragrance oils or essential oils.